Beginning Saturday, August 22, several targeted bus routes will be restored or extended and frequencies improved on some routes to continue to support essential trips and physical distancing. Temporary modified Muni Metro service will also be returning. These include:
- 44 O’Shaughnessy: Full route restored between Hunters Point and California/6th Avenue
- J Church: Surface-only route between Balboa Park and Church & Market
- S Shuttle: New subway-only route between West Portal and Embarcadero
- 14 Mission: Line will be served by 60-foot electric trolley coaches instead of motor coaches.
- 49 Van Ness-Mission: 60-foot buses will replace the 40-foot buses
Among others, the following routes will have more frequent service: 14 Mission, 24 Divisadero, 25 Treasure Island, 44 O’Shaughnessy
Enhancing cleaning methods and restoring Muni Metro enables us to restore additional bus routes and put more buses in service on high ridership routes to provide greater connectivity and more room for physical distancing. The temporary changes to rail are necessary to reduce chronic delays in the subway and improve rail reliability.
These Muni service updates are likely to be the last major changes tied to San Francisco’s reopening plan. The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply affected the SFMTA’s budget, limiting our ability to put more vehicles into service. We may make some additional adjustments to service in the fall but making major service changes or restoring more routes will depend on securing additional revenue and relaxation of vehicle capacity restrictions.
Read the full update here.