Photos by Michael and Bonnee Waldstein
A fire that broke out at Glen Park Cleaners at 701 Chenery Street around 7:00 pm on Saturday caused no serious injuries to workers at the business or tenants of the apartment above.
Tommy Baik, who has owned the cleaners for nearly 35 years, said it somehow began in one of the dryers in the rear of the building. One of his employees suffered a minor hand injury and was treated by paramedics on the scene but otherwise there were no injuries.
Heavy grey smoke from the fire entered the apartment on the second floor and billowed out of the building. Firefighters had to cut several holes in the roof to check the progression of the fire and vent the smoke.
Luckily, no one was home in the apartment at the time of the blaze. A resident returned to find the fire in progress. After firefighters determined it was safe, the resident was allowed to go in and retrieve some belongings.
The surrounding area had been taped off and throngs of neighbors gathered to see the activity. All expressed gratitude that the people affected are okay.