Hello Friend and Supporter of the Greenway,
I hope that you had wonderful Holidays and that you are longing to get your hands (and even perhaps your knees) a bit muddy on the Greenway! On Saturday we begin the planting of the Native Meadow. There are three work parties in the next two weeks. Are you ready for this?!
Please email me no later than Thursday to tell me which of these work parties you plan to join.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For all of these work parties we’ll meet on the Native Meadow at Lippard Avenue. We’ll have a supply of tools to lend you.
Saturday morning January 8
- From 9AM-12PM
- Coffee to start and sandwiches for lunch. Email me to tell me that you’re coming so that there’ll be a sandwich for you. The weather forecast predicts “mostly sunny”.
- We will mostly weed and trim as we prepare about 5,000 SqFt of the Native Meadow for mulching and planting next week
Tuesday afternoon January 11 (Tuesday of next week)
- This is unusual! A work party on a week-day afternoon. Probably from 1:00 until we’re done. Come and help even if you can only join us for an hour or so. The weather forecast predicts “mostly cloudy”
- We’ll lay a cardboard sheet mulch over about 5,000SqFt in anticipation of the delivery on the following day of lots and lots of mulch to spread around the site. This work party will happen “rain or shine”! We have to get that cardboard laid before the mulch trucks arrive on Wednesday morning.
Saturday morning January 15 (Saturday of MLK weekend)
- From 9AM to 12PM and continuing after our lunch break until we’re done. Come and lend a hand in the morning or the afternoon even if you are only able to join us for an hour or so
- Coffee to start and sandwiches for lunch. Email me to tell me that you’re coming so that there’ll be a sandwich for you. The weather forecast predicts “mostly sunny”
- We’ll plant the “Pilot Plot” of the Native Meadow. We have been very generously given hundreds of grass plants by the Yerba Buena Chapter of the California Native Plants Society propagated by Gerry Knezevich and we’ll have a carefully crafted planting plan that we will follow as we get the grass in the ground over an area of more than 500 SqFt. It’ll be a lot of work and a lot of fun!
For more information about these work parties or, in case you want to bring your own tools, to discuss which tools we expect that you’ll need, please email me or telephone me (number below).
We need to follow San Francisco’s current rules in response to the pandemic. We will be working in the open air so generally need not wear masks. However, please bring a mask with you and, if you find yourself congregating to chat or need to work closely with any other volunteers and they feel more comfortable wearing a mask, please wear yours too.
I hope that you’ll be able to join in this work on the Native Meadow and look forward to working with you at these three important work parties.
Many thanks for all that you do for the Greenway!